Sinclair Broadcast Group (Nasdaq: SBGI) is the proud winner of four National Headliner Awards in the Press Club of Atlantic City Journalism contests. WBFF FOX45 in Baltimore and WKRC Local 12 in Cincinnati, both owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group, scored awards in investigative coverage of critical issues impacting local communities in which they operate. See Headliner Award Winners list.
WBFF Project Baltimore’s won awards in three categories:
- 1st place for the WBFF Series “Shredding” – Continuing Coverage
- 2nd place for the WBFF Series “Shredding”- Documentary
- 2nd place for the WBFF investigation “Learned Helplessness”- Public Service
WKRC garnered 2nd place in the “Health and Science Reporting” category for the coverage of “Spotlight on America: Chamber of Hope”
In acceptance of the award, the Senior Vice President of News for Sinclair, Scott Livingston expressed his appreciation to both WBFF and WKRC for their commitment to serving the community. He also emphasized the importance of accountability in leadership. According to Livingstone, citizens should be aware of issues affecting them and be provided with platforms for holding leaders accountable. The organization’s vice president also highlighted Sinclair Broadcast Group’s interest in responsible leadership; saying that their news teams work tirelessly on investigative reports which they feel would have an impact on the lives of the local communities.
What Has WBFF Done To Deserve The Glory?
The WBFF Baltimore investigative team has done in-depth investigations in issues of public interest with, regard to education, misuse of funds, and accountability.
- They have done an in-depth investigation on the challenges facing county public schools and Baltimore City
- They uncovered the misappropriation of funds in Baltimore City Public School which has resulted in low performance
- Their investigative reports have also uncovered critical issues such as shredding of crucial financial documents in Baltimore County Public School System
- They have also brought to light the county’s defective approach in the handling of sex offenders within public schools.
The Award Winning WKRC’s “Spotlight on America”
The “Spotlight on America” investigative was part of a national campaign within the Sinclair Broadcasts networks. The campaign aimed to produce content that positively transformed the lives of the local communities.
What made the WKRC’s “Spotlight on America” award-winning?
- It highlights on the challenges facing the Cincinnati community with regard to their healthcare systems
- It also uncovers the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy within and outside Cincinnati
Other Sinclair Broadcast Group Awards this year:
Sinclair also secured the 37 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards for journalistic excellence in May 2021. In this contest, WBFF won four Awards, with three achieved from the Project Baltimore coverage.
The National Headliner Awards program
The Press Club of Atlantic City established the National Headliner Awards program in 1934 with an aim to promote local news coverage by creating journalistic interest in issues affecting local communities. Over the years, the program remains the largest and oldest annual journalistic contest.
About Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.
Sinclair Broadcast Group is one of the leading local news broadcasters in the United States and was founded in 1986. It diversifies in both local news and sports and owns 21 sports network brands providing services to 186 TV stations across 87 market segments. Being a core news provider in the country, the broadcaster owns multiple news broadcast networks and television stations within these networks. They deliver their content through multiple platforms: multi-channel video program distributors, over the air, and on digital platforms. You can access more information on the Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. on their website see www.sbgi.net.